One of my resolutions for this year was to update my site at least once a month. Obviously I am not doing as well as I had hoped as it is February 28th and I have only posted one other blog post, which was written in January. Luckily, I am here in the nick of time to save my resolution from complete and udder destruction.
I have been suffering from bit of writer’s block lately as I was/am working to overcome high levels of stress. In November I was hit with large, unexpected amount of new responsibilities that I honestly did not know if I was prepared for. This newfound stress made me physically ill, threw my blood sugars into a frenzy, deprived me of some much needed sleep and gave me some gnarly headaches. These were the last symptoms I needed on top of all of this extra responsibility! I continued to make myself miserable until I was able to change my attitude thanks to my family, friends and finally, myself.
I had talked to friends and family who repeatedly told me that everything would work out. I received great advice that “there is no point in worrying as things I can control will eventually be fixed, and things I can’t control I should not waste my time worrying about anyway”. These words of wisdom helped me push along through this uneasy time until I eventually realized that one of my main causes of stress was that I had started lacking confidence. I lacked confidence in my abilities, I lacked confidence that I would have time to get everything done and I lacked the confidence that everything would work out. It was then that I started to catch onto the fact that whatever I was projecting was coming to pass. If I told myself that I was awesome and could accomplish whatever I put my mind to, I was able to face my challenges with a new perspective and work through my various obstacles. I still felt very uneasy at times and had to pray for some miracles other times, but ultimately, everything I had stressed about I was able to overcome with some very hard work, a lot of late nights, and a healthy does of confidence.
I know that everything doesn’t always work out how we would like it to, but having the confidence that everything will work out how it is supposed to has helped me be able to push on through some undesirable times. Please also note that even though I can look back now and talk about how easy it is to get through stressful times, I was secretly a hot mess that had to work really hard to keep it all together.
I know that dealing with stress is tough. Whether it is school, work, relationships, etc. there will always be stressful parts of life. Here are a couple additional tips that helped me get through these past couple of months:
- Take a moment to focus on your breathing. For Christmas Nate gifted me an Apple Watch that gives me daily reminders to take a moment to focus on my breathing. At first I thought it was kind of silly, but this “breathing moment” really does help me to clear my head and bring everything back into perspective.
- Get massage. Until recently I had never been to get a massage because I was kind of nervous about strangers touching me. Let me tell you, these babies are life changing! It actually isn’t weird at all and I never feel as relaxed as I do while I am laying on that table. I purchased a membership with Massage Envy because of recommendations from my dad and my doctor. I highly recommend this option!
- Use products designed to relieve stress. My saint of a mother-in-law knew that I had been stressed and sent me these stress relief aromatherapy products from Bath and Body Works and they are amazing. Not only do they smell divine and instantly help me relax, they also my make skin so soft. Triple win!
- Work out. Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.
- Positive affirmations. Like I rambled on about above, I have experienced firsthand that filling the mind with positive thoughts instead of negative ones can be a very powerful tool. As Henry Ford once said: “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t – you’re right.”
Thank you for stopping by! If you have any additional tips for relieving stress, I would love to hear them below.
Here’s to going through 2017 happy and stress free!